Monday, January 26, 2009

Meet Dodo, My Roaming Gnome

Has anyone ever seen those Travelocity commercials with the gnome? Or better yet, has anyone seen the French movie Amelie, where the idea really originated? The title character tries to encourage her father into traveling the world by stealing his Santa-like garden gnome. She has a flight attendant friend take pictures of the gnome in front of various landmarks and famous places, which are then sent to Amelie's father. I watched the movie this past year in my French class, and on my visit to Grand Valley a couple weeks ago, some friends from my class suggested that I "borrow" the idea. Brilliant, Emily and Nikki, thank you! So I've been on the lookout for a companion and have finally found him: Dodo.

Okay, so he's not really a gnome. In fact, I don't really know what he is, besides a handily available, completely adorable pen. I received him as a prize in a library program during my junior year of high school (which also explains the "Joust Read" motto tattooed across his body). I used to tease and annoy my twin with him all the time, even going so far as to take pictures of him in sunglasses and using him to prop up my hair on "Crazy Hair Day" during Spirit Week. In short, this cute little pen has a bit of sentimental value for me. He's a bit hard to photograph, since he reflects the flash, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

So among many of my regular updates, be on the lookout for pictures of Dodo on occasion whenever I visit a new place. He'll also be accompanying me on my flight, which leaves tomorrow at 6:05 pm. This time tomorrow, I will be off to England! Wish me luck...and Dodo too!


1 comment:

  1. Sorry I couldn't see you off on Tuesday. We will be thinking of you constantly. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete