Monday, January 19, 2009

Even the Best-Laid Plans...

So here's the post that I promised about my trip to Grand Valley this weekend. My sister and I left on Friday and returned earlier today, managing to avoid the snow that fell all day yesterday. The weekend was, in a word, hectic. Definitely busier than either of us had originally planned. I never realized how many close college friends I've been blessed with, and of course I had to visit and say good-bye to as many as possible.

First on the list, I went to my friend Ryan's birthday party on Friday night. Most of my closest friends--our "group", I guess you could say--were at the party, including my two best friends from high school. It was a themed costume party, where everyone dressed up as their true opposite, both personality-wise and gender. We had a sorority "girl", a biker "chick", a gamer "dude", a country "cowboy", and a gay "guy", among others. I was the partying frat boy. I'll see if I can post any pictures, but I'll probably have to beg permission from some of my more self-conscious friends.

Saturday, which I had hoped to spend resting and relaxing at my sister's house, did not go as planned. I got together with my Bible study girls for an Apples to Apples game night. It was undoubtedly fun, but I have to admit to feeling a little disappointed that I wasn't able to remain at home on such a snowy night. I wouldn't have given up being able to see my friends, but the timing could have been better. Well, at least I also got a cherry Italian cream soda in the bargain, as well.

It snowed on and off all day Sunday, but the roads weren't that bad. It was a good thing, too, since I was out almost the entire day. I met with some of my friends from last semester's American Literature class and we had a Starbucks day. We just hung out at the coffeeshop for the afternoon. Unfortunately, the snow that stayed pretty slow during the day picked up for the evening, thus delaying the trip home until this morning. And so, even the best-laid plans go awry. Yet it still worked out. The time that I'd regretted on Saturday was instead replaced with Sunday night. I was able to relax with Jennifer, Chris, Michele, and Avery, which I enjoyed just as much as the busyness of the rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment