Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another Weekend Update...




It's Sunday night and another weekend's gone by, seemingly in a flash. Last weekend was my time to spend with my college friends, while this weekend was my family time, the last I'll have before I leave for England on Tuesday.

This last week, the tedium was somewhat alleviated because of some free passes that my sister and I got for the local athletic center. I've been going every day to work out and yesterday Jenn and I brought our niece to the pool in the early afternoon. It was awesome; Avery's a spitfire, no doubt about that. Even though she's only two, she kept trying to swim on her own in the deeper water. It took a lot of persuasion to get her to play in the kids' area.

Yesterday was just a special day in general. We had everyone over for a family dinner--Michele, Chris, Avery, my brother Sean and his girlfriend Stephanie, Grandma--needless to say, it was a blast. It always is when we get together. Jenn and I tried out two new recipes, pineapple upside down cake and cornbread, which went well with the steak and potatoes. We rounded out the evening by playing some family games and ended up in hysterics during Mad Gab. Mom wasn't all that great at the game, which I thought was good for her, since she's usually so competitive. I can pretty much guarantee that come February 14th, she'll be getting phone calls from all of us wishing her a "Happy Vowl-INtumsday." She'll not be living that down anytime soon, believe you me.

And then there was today. Jenn and I performed a "swan song" special in church, singing the first and last verses of Amazing Grace in French and English. Jenn helped me out a lot on the pronunciation, but I'm proud to say that I held my own. I only hope that I can hold my own in my French course in England.

I had to say goodbye to everyone today and I'll admit to getting a bit emotional when saying goodbye to my brothers and sister. Michele and Chris returned to Grand Rapids, so this will be the last time I see them in person for over four months. Sean doesn't live so far away, but I doubt I'll see him before I leave. If I got teary-eyed saying goodbye to them, I can only imagine how I will feel when saying goodbye to my twin. And even worse--I'm expecting Dad to succumb to major waterworks on Tuesday, too. Bring on the tissues!

No comments:

Post a Comment