Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Six Inches? You've Gotta Be Kidding Me!

I'm going to keep this update rather short because, quite frankly, I don't feel very well right now. I tried going out with some friends tonight, but had to bow out early when my stomach threatened to reveal its contents. As soon as I post this, I am falling into bed to try to sleep this off. I have class tomorrow, and there is no way that I'm going to miss it!

I spent yesterday's snow day predominantly in London with a group of fellow study abroad students. We ate lunch in Chinatown, toured the Tower of London, walked across the Bridge, ate dinner at a pub near Trafalgar Square, and rode on a double-decker bus around the city, where we got completely lost after the bus dumped us off on the outskirts of the town. Thank God, our group was made up of several people, including five guys, so the rest of us girls found safety in numbers in what could have been a very frightening situation. Come to find out, we were less than a hundred yards away from Paddington Station...so much for being "lost in London."

Today was the final first day of class--as in, classes had been cancelled on the two earlier days in the week. In Michigan, this would have been unheard of, considering that Kingston only got about 4-6 inches of snow. That's barely considered a dusting on the ground from where I come from, and there would have been no way Grand Valley would have cancelled school for one hour, much less two days. I was amused by how freaked out everyone got over the snow and ice. No one here seems to know how to deal with it. In London, there were piles of salt every three feet, as if they expected it to spread out on its own. And men were clearing the sidewalks with brooms. Not shovels, brooms. As in, those wide sweepers that my dad uses to clean out the garage after we have a family picnic. Also, everyone seems to be in constant danger of falling, probably because the shoes and boots that are sold here--while good for rain--don't have the traction needed to walk on ice. For once in my life, I was one of the most coordinated people in the area--and you know that's saying something.

This turned out to be longer than I expected or wanted, and I haven't even begun to talk about my classes yet! I'll just leave that topic for the next post, when I can talk about all at the same time. I don't have any classes on Friday, so I can probably post bout today's and tomorrow's classes as soon as I get the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment