Monday, February 2, 2009

Michigan Weather in England?

Monday was supposed to be my first day of class, but a nighttime
snowstorm brought more fluffy stuff than Great Britain has seen in almost two decades...or so I've heard from the news. It just figures, doesn't it? I leave Romulus and Grand Rapids, expecting to escape the snowy Michigan weather, and encounter weather just like it overseas. I must've brought it with me; but I won't go advertising that idea, for fear of getting jumped by angry Englishmen and -women :).

Usually, I'd be thrilled to have a snow day from classes, but since I'm in a new country and at a new school, I would have rather gotten the whole initiation period over with as early as possible. Instead, I was cooped up inside the house all day, left with twenty-four extra hours to fret about the start of classes and schoolwork. I spent the day reading Jane Eyre and watching the same movie on youtube, with only my landlady's cat, Poppy, to keep me company. It was nothing if not an uneventful, lazy snow day; the kind of day that is nice to have once in while, but gets boring and old really fast.

So guess what? According to the Kingston University website, all Tuesday lectures and classes are cancelled, as well. I may have brought the Michigan snow with me, but one thing's for sure: Romulus High School and Grand Valley State were never so quick to close campus for a snow drift like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment