Monday, May 25, 2009

Camera Complaints

Since the last time I wrote, I have seen two other musicals, a play at the Rose Theatre, and been to Ireland. But I can't find the motivation to write about those events right now because I'm so ticked off. No, not ticked off, because ticked off sounds more like I'm mad at a person or something. Rather, I am frustrated beyond belief at technology and ruing the day digital cameras ever replaced film.

Okay, so maybe that's not the whole truth. I love my camera, frustrating as it can be. It was a Christmas present this past year, probably the most perfect idea for a study abroad student. And it's not so bad. After all, I can take a lot more pictures on my digital camera than I ever could using a film camera. And who doesn't like being able to see the result seconds after snapping the shot?

But there is a definite downside, at least to the camera I own. Who knows, maybe this is just a freak thing and everyone else's Kodak works perfectly. But all I know is that my camera is filled with over 400 pictures that refuse to transfer to the computer. They're taking up the memory, but I don't want to delete them because they're my memories! But it is becoming more and more frustrating, because the situation seems to be getting worse.

I thought it was bad when my picture of the Eagle and the Child pub in Oxford didn't transfer, which meant that I couldn't post about the pub made famous by C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the other Inklings. I figured it couldn't get much worse when twice--twice--some pictures I'd taken of friends and promised to send them refused to upload to the screen. How am I supposed to post a picture on Facebook when I can't even post it on my computer?

But this just takes the cake. I went to Ireland this past weekend, met Jenn there, and we stayed and explored Dublin. It was awesome, but I'll write more about it in another post, I promise. What I'm trying to say is, I took quite a few pictures. This is saying something for me, because although I love having the memories on film--or the computer--in front of me, I tend to forget that the memories have to be captured first. But this wasn't the case in Dublin. I probably took over seventy pictures over the weekend, which is a pretty substantial number for me. I even took a short video of a street performer with a funny puppet. And do you want to know how many of my pictures transferred to the computer for me to attempt to upload on Facebook for friends and relatives to see?

21. Twenty-one. Not even a third.

Now can you understand my frustration?

But hey, I'm a girl who usually looks on the bright side; I typically see the glass as half-full and whatnot. There's a positive side to every situation, as long as you look for it.

...

...

...

At least I was able to transfer the video of the funny puppet.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love your bright side. But my camera has been doing the same thing; the Johnson crest didn't transfer, and neither did any of my pictures of the Ring. :(

    ReplyDelete