Sunday, March 15, 2009

Regulars at the Cavern Club

I've just gotten back from a weekend in Liverpool, albeit a day early. We were able to take a complete bus tour yesterday and found an extra day to be surplus.

When I say "complete bus tour," I'm referring to the Magical Mystery Tour, the tour mentioned in and made famous by the Beatles' song. It took us around to all the famous sites related to the band--Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, the Cavern Club, and the original houses of all four of the members. Needless to say, it was sweet. I can't even claim to be a huge Beatles fan, yet I still had a blast!

The best part about the weekend was definitely hanging around the Cavern Club. It was dark and...well, cavernous. Elle, Rebecca, and I went there several times in the two days we spent in Liverpool. You could say we became regulars at the place. Rebecca sometimes ordered a Guiness, but Elle and I mainly stuck to the less expensive drinks...tap water, for instance, or a Coke if we felt more experimental.

The trip was awesome, but it definitely had its downpoints, too. For one, the hostel room we stayed in smelled like sweaty gym socks. Try going to sleep when you feel as if your nose hairs are being singed! Also, I was sick on Saturday, the day we took the tour. I forced myslef to go and ended up having fun anyway, yet the pain ruined parts of the experience for me. Oh, well.

We said goodbye to Liverpool this morning with one last trip to Albert Dock (where the wind is strong enough to blow you off your feet) and to the Cavern Club. The club was closed, since it was barely ten o'clock, but we did get to visit my ol' pal John leaning against the Wall of Fame. One trip I'll never forget!

1 comment: